Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vacation Week: Day 3

Today was lovely.  My husband decided to go visit some of his old college friends who live about 2 hours away.  I was invited to go along with him, but ultimately decided I'd rather stay home.  I think he really wanted me to stay home too.  He left about 9 am and didn't get home until about 7 pm.  He had a great visit with three different friends and came home very relaxed.

I spent some time during the morning with some chores, but spent the bulk of my day catching up with DVR'd TV shows, reading, knitting, and napping.  I occasionally thought about errands I could run, but that's all I did, think about them.  It truly was terrific to have an entire day of doing exactly what I wanted to do.  I highly recommend it!

There are only 2 more days of vacation left, plus the weekend.  I am trying very hard to wring out every last drop of enjoyment!

I finished this book today.

A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)A Cold Treachery by Charles Todd
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I had a hard time getting into this installment of the series.  It finally picked up during the last third of the book, but it was too late for me to really get hooked. Inspector Rutledge is sent to the Lake District to investigate the gruesome murder of almost an entire family.  A nine-year-old boy is missing and is one of the suspects as are his aunt, uncle, and biological father. One of the hallmarks of Charles Todd's writing is the definite sense of time and place that is created, and in this book, the setting is so well-created that it becomes a character itself.  Rutledge's struggle with Hamish is much less a part of this story than in others, and I was glad of that.  And I do wonder whether Rutledge may have met a potential "love interest" in the person of Elisabeth Fraser.  While this wasn't my favorite Rutledge novel, it's worth reading.


View all my reviews

No comments: