Monday, January 6, 2014

2014 Movies

We don't go to the movies very often.  While I enjoy it, it's not something that's high on my husband's list.  So I have to really want to see something, or it has to pique his interest before we end up going.  But I decided that I really wanted to see more first run movies this year. We did go on the last weekend of the year to see "Desolation of Smaug", the 2nd Hobbit movie, which is not a movie my husband particularly wanted to see, but Elder Son had invited us down to go see in in high resolution 3D at a super fancy theater.  I really enjoyed it, while my husband was somewhat confused.  He is not familiar with the saga!

Anyway, I persuaded him to go see "Saving Mr. Banks" yesterday at our local cinema.  This is the story (somewhat fictionalized, of course!  It IS a Disney film after all) of how Disney persuaded P.L. Travers to release the film rights to her Mary Poppins book.  What a fantastic movie!  Emma Thompson's performance was terrific, and Tom Hanks' scene with her at the end, when he visits her in London was another outstanding performance.  It's one of the few times I've been to a movie where nobody moved when the credits started rolling.  People stayed glued in their seats until the final credits rolled up.  There were few dry eyes during the premiere scene too.  This is definitely very high on my list of great movies.

So, since I've promised myself that we'd go to the movies more often, I've decided to keep track of them.  I'm really tired of watching the movies everyone talks about two or three years later on DVD.

No comments: