Saturday, January 18, 2014

Snowy-ish Saturday

The longer-than-usual January thaw is now giving way to more seasonable weather.  The temps are dropping and it's been spitting snow most of the day.  There's about an inch of wet snow on the ground after about 6 hrs of precipitation.  It's chilly and dreary outside.

I decided to make soup today, based on this recipe for Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup:

I tweaked it just because  . . . .
  • Instead of water and vegetable broth, I used 6 cups of chicken stock. 
  • I skipped the white sauce mix since I didn't have any and instead dissolved a couple of tablespoons of corn starch in the liquid.
  • I added about 1/2 cup of white wine.
  • I added 1 can of cream of chicken soup because I wanted a more chicken-y flavor and I didn't have any chicken in the freezer.
  • I added an extra dash of cayenne
  • I added a cheese rind as it simmered.
  • I used a package of fresh cheese tortellini instead of dried.


Verdict?   It's yummy!  And although at first my husband kind of turned up his nose when I announced that was the main meal, I noticed he ate 3 bowls! 

No comments: