1. What is the best thing you have had to eat in the last couple of days?
2. What is the topic/subject of the best thing you have read in the last couple of days?
3. Who would you like to give a shout out to that has been in your life the last couple of days?
4. How have you practiced self-care in the last couple of days?
5. Use the following words in a sentence: couple, shutter, smile, pillow, groan, skip, baby elephant, red shoes.
Here's my response:
The best thing I've eaten in the past few days: I'm going with the absolutely perfect grapefruit I ate. I love to eat them like an orange, peeling the skin off, then picking off all the pith. Then I gently tear off the membrane to get to the juicy fruit itself. I love the sweet tang of both the juice and its scent.
Topic of the best thing I've read: I just finished a book called "Soy Sauce for Beginners." I learned a great deal about how soy sauce is made, although the topic was really the protagonist's journey of self discovery.
Shout out: This has to be my 6th graders! They've had an awesome week, coming back after the 2 week holiday. We started a new novel on Monday that they are loving, and they are making vocabulary connections like there's no tomorrow! They have reminded me why teaching can still be fun and rewarding - a feeling that's been really hard to sustain against the flood of anti-teacher/anti-public school invective we've been experiencing.
Self-care: Not so much. I did come home from school yesterday afternoon, however, and I took a 40 minute nap.
Sentence: In my dream I smiled as the baby elephant in red shoes skipped between a couple of fig trees, and as the shutter groaned in the breeze, I shifted my head on the pillow.