Thursday, January 23, 2014

Brr .... Again!

It's been a cold winter - and we're back in the freezer.  Yesterday we actually managed to reach low double digits: 12°  Today it will be colder.  We've had to keep the kids in at recess because it's too cold to go out.  And for some reason, middle schoolers think it's really dorky to wear winter coats, hats, and mittens/gloves!  We still have the real "cool" kids (literally and figuratively) who wear shorts in January.  The temp this morning - right now is -4°.

Meals this week have included left overs of the meat loaf from Sunday, panbroiled steaks, and last night . . . a Pinterest recipe that was exactly as advertised.  Super easy and super delicious!    Definitely NOT healthy!

There isn't really a printed recipe -- just a photo with a caption.
BAKED ITALIAN SHRIMP

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Melt 1/2 to 3/4 stick of butter in an oven safe pan. (I do this in the oven as it's preheating.)
Layer 1 lb deveined shrimp over the butter.  (I pulled the tails off first.)
Sprinkle the shrimp with 1 packet of Italian dressing mix.
Bake for 15 min. at 350°F.

I served this with rotini.  I just cooked the pasta and tossed it into the pan with the cooked shrimp.  I also dusted it with some grated parmesan.

My husband said this was a keeper!

Wow! Steak and shrimp back to back!  My husband does the shopping and buys either what's on sale or what's been marked down. Into the freezer it goes.  A bag of frozen shrimp is a staple in our larder.  Tonight it's chicken, but I haven't decided how I'm cooking yet!




No comments: