Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Monday Night's Dinner

No picture, again!  Can't remember to take a photo.

Tonight was a  crockpot meal called Honey Sesame Chicken.  This recipe is another Pinterest find.

SLOW COOKER HONEY SESAME CHICKEN
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time4 hours
Total Time4 hours, 10 minutes
Yield6 servings
Simply throw everything in the crockpot and you're set for a family-friendly meal - it doesn't get easier than that!
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced for garnish
  • Sesame seeds, for garnish
INSTRUCTIONS
  • In a large bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, vegetable oil and red pepper.
  • Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste. Place chicken thighs into a slow cooker. Add honey mixture and gently toss to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 30 minutes.
  • Remove chicken thighs from the slow cooker and shred the chicken before returning to the pot with the juices. Cover and keep warm for an additional 30 minutes.
  • Serve immediately, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
NOTES
Adapted from The Comfort of Cooking
  My only tweaks:

I didn't have any ketchup so I used tomato paste.  Because I know ketchup has vinegar in it, I added a couple of splashes of rice vinegar -- maybe about a tablespoon.   I also upped the amount of red pepper flakes.  I also cooked it on high for about 2 hours since I didn't get home as early as I'd expected.

We really liked this, although there was a lot more sauce than I expected.  Not that that's a problem. I served it over rice, accompanied by peas.  This made enough for generous portions for us, plus at least 2 lunches.

No comments: